Tuesday, April 27, 2021

 I shouldn't have to preface what I say, but as a Black person, I wonder what year Blacks were "allowed" to work for him? I say that because my father was born in 1925 and he couldn't eat in a restaurant, VOTE (not until the 1960s!!!), enjoy an amusement park, marry the woman he wanted, etc.! I think to gloss over this fact is doing a disservice to all Black Americans and especially Black Daytonians. . ..During these times, 2021, I especially want to know a historical person's views on race, not to cancel them but to get a REAL context! I can't just gloss over the fact that someone may have been a racist! I'm not saying Mr. Patterson was, I have no about his political views! I do know that Frederick Douglas married a White woman, I find that extremely interesting!

....I had a relative live in Georgia, during the 80s. actually my brother! My mother and I went to Georgia to visit and he arranged a trip to Stone Mountain! I was NO HISTORY BUFF, but as a FULL BLACK person, I did NOT feel all was "well with my soul" as the song goes! My brother is half Black, yet appears fully White. I think to take ANY Black person to a place like that and make no mention of the Confederacy, is sick! Kind of like feeding meat KNOWINGLY yet, not telling a person who doesn't eat meat, it's in there! I didn't have a real concept of Stone Mountain, and to this day I haven't done research but I DO know that members of the confederacy were celebrated! I want no part of that! I don't seek to erase that history, I just want to know about it, and NOT take part in any celebration! Hopefully, people can understand what I'm saying. ........I feel we, Blacks have been taught to give absolutely NO THOUGHT to celebrating and learning about every culture except our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment